Monday, May 3, 2010

Rising, Falling.

So today BFF Jamie and I went out, and everywhere we parked 'our' scooter (ours, because it's mine, but she's the driver), we had to pay 10 Rupees for parking fees. A few days ago, the fee was just Rs. 2. The fees for LMV's have also gone up from Rs. 5 to a whopping Rs. 30. That's like a 600% increase! (I think. My maths is horrible).

Soooo, why this increase? Supposedly, its to help lessen traffic congestion, to discourage people from parking their vehicles on roadsides. But traffic is as worse as ever, and there are still vehicles parked on roadsides. So is this, as many people are saying, a scheme for the government to scam money off citizens? Or is it just a hare-brained scheme devised by beleaguered traffic officials who just don't know what to do anymore?

The men's barber's association has also increased their fees from Rs. 15-20 to Rs. 30. Once again, there was a lot of justification. They have to keep up with rent payments, 'barber-ing' materials, and anyway, in other states, a haircut costs Rs.35. Barber shops are not places that I frequent, but the one time I went to one to get my nephew's hair cut, the shop was small, dirty, the service was bad, and the choice of haircut ranged from trimmed, short, very short to bald. Can we really compare our barber shops to those in other states? Apparently, you get a free head massage thrown in too. But then again, this is not an area that I'm familiar with, and I would appreciate a little enlightenment.

And clothes. Oh, for a gal who loves clothes as much as I do, it's always heartbreaking to be told that a simple lil' top would set me back by at least Rs.700. Thank God for our thriving second-hand stores, where you can get good cloth materials at cheaper rates, which you can get stitched. I try on the expensive clothes, take a pic, go away, and get the design copied by an amazing seamstress who doesn't know what she's worth yet. Expenditure- roughly 300-400 Rupees. Yes, its piracy, so what, yo ho ho, and a bagful of fake Diors.

Methinks Aizawl has a very high standard of living. The price tags are Metropolitan-worthy, but, hello, we are so not metropolitan. The price of everything is increasing, whether its clothes, food, house rents, public transportation fares etc. (And our morals are declining, as the Ram-Hmangaih-Tus say, but I'm not going into that) And yet, day by day, its becoming more and more crowded, and our villages and other cities are neglected to feed our hungry capital city.

I often wonder if we Mizos aren't a little bit too peace-loving for our own good. Price increase in many other states are so often met with riots, protests and marches. Here, there is a great outcry in newspapers and local networks, and then grumbling, we accept whatever decree is laid down to us. Not that I'm saying we should have a protest march, or maybe I am. We Mizos are too complacent (yours truly included), too fearful of rocking the boat. Sometimes I feel that we are "all talk and no action", all "sound and fury,signifying nothing" :(

There was a move a couple of years back to shift the capital from Aizawl to Thenzawl, and though as usual nothing happened, maybe it would be better if they do shift the capital there. Then Aizawl would be like what New York is to the States, while Thenzawl would be its financial capital. Then when Aizawl is levelled by the oft-predicted earthquake (Touchwood, touchwood!), our finances wouldn't be in too much of a muddle, and congestion problems would definitely be solved. Yeah, right.

Despite all my raving and ranting about her, I do love my savage land fiercely. I just wish I knew what to do about it, besides just going on and on about its many problems. And I wish I don't know her this well, that I see her faults so clearly. And I wish I didn't love her so much that I would never leave her for another. Because seeing her like this, falling apart at the seams, and not knowing how to help her, is tearing me up inside.

5 comments:

Lucy In The Sky said...

A va'n thui. I luangliam.

Tak takin, Mizoram thil man hi ka hre chiang vak lova, thuamhnaw tih loah chuan. A mak ka tih chu, mi-te hian an thla khat hlawh (plus, a ba)in thuamhnaw an lei thrin hi tunthlengin ka la hrethiam lo. Ka uikawm deuh nge, hetah chuan top hak tlak ve deuhin 500 a pelh chuan ka nahin deuh tlat jel. Ka lei ngam lo, na ka ti tlat.

ku2 said...

Lol, ka vel ang che, luangliam ve nel nual e.
Tawi fel et in ka la ziak thiamlo zui, haha.

Keipoh sale leh 2nd hand hi ka uar top, kawr man to deuh2 lei thenkhat ai chuan ka nalh pui ve tho, ehhh! Hmeichhe fashion phei chu inthlak ngun si, kum khat vel daih awrh tur to deuha lei kha tha natthlak lom

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Traffic problem seems to be simply unsolvable. Here in Mumbai i've to travel 25Kms to work. The 20Kms by train takes about 25mins and the 5Kms by bus takes 1-2hrs, sometimes more.

Aizawl and clothes...do people live for clothes?

Your posts are always so intereting. Are you a journalist, a writer?

Te-a said...

I blog chu a va nalh riai riai ve

ku2 said...

@Mesjay: Thanks! I wish! Am just a lit student who really should get her head out of the net and into her books.
Good thing about traffic jams- I get to walk- a lot.
And that's when I see what Vanneihtluanga meant when he said "Party dress nen khawlaiah" (an leng)- Lengzem feb, 2010 :D

@Te-a: I va ti lawmawm ve :)