Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In a lighter vein


Or not! I wanted to take a break from "solving the world's problems" and switch to thinking/ talking about something lighter. But those have invaded me and mine!

Do you see them? And that is after I zoomed the camera to its utmost. I could not bring myself to get any closer.

What I love about my house is that we have a lot of greenery around. But these greeneries are perfect breeding places for those...those things.

I don't know where they came from. Probably the fruit-less mango tree that we forbade our parents from cutting down because we wanted to do our bit for the environment. And the ungrateful thing goes and does this to us!

And the profusion. Maybe they just hatched, and decided to attack with full force. This morning mom went up to the roof and killed eight- yes, eight of the buggers. And then this afternoon two of its brothers (they can only be male- they invaded my room after all) found their way into my room.

I'm not scared of them. I just don't like them. Okay, okay, they creep me out totally. And I swept those two and threw them out my window where they'll probably crawl back. Thing is, I can't kill them. And no, its not because I'm good or kind or PETA-ish. Its that I can't shake the fear that their blood (?) and entrails would get stuck under my slippers and somehow find their way onto my skin...

Then a few minutes later, my sister came out screaming from the bathroom because she too had just seen one of its brothers. And only after pouring two bucket-fuls of precious water over it, it sluggishly went down the drain. I went back to my room and found yet another one. That makes twelve of those worms that I've seen today.

I'm so spooked, every time my hair tickles me, I think its them and I get mild heart attacks. And I glance at every nook and cranny, and at the ceilings and under cushions and..everywhere.

Rainy season's coming up, and there will be more. And I especially hate the ones that give you itches-the "lungphur" kind. Because I'm so susceptible to the power of suggestive thinking that if I even see one, I break into itchy rashes.

And it doesn't help when people tell me they're probably more scared of me than I am of them.

They say you always pay a price for loving. And I love trees and rain, and the price I have to pay for loving them are those crawling menaces.

Love hurts.

7 comments:

Lucy In The Sky said...

Hahahah....Don't forget to look inside your shoes too, Kuku. You know what happens if you don't :D

Ka en ringawt pawn ka hlau. Mi raaap. An nem duak duak bawk si.

ku2 said...

"here comes the bride, tralalalala"
an bo vek! all gone! maybe we killed them all, or they're regrouping to work out a better strategy of attack. I'm not ruling out the stealth attacks- shoe and closet ambushes. tren trenn.

Lucy In The Sky said...

:P :P :P

Ka ti a za (an tia mi kha?) Inrin loh laia khawih palh hi lawm rap awm chu. Ka inthing nasa thei lutuk, involuntarily.

Another thing, you might like to check the ceiling too. You don't wanna be eating vawksa rep in your dream and wake up in the middle of the night to realize you were actually munching on worms :D

Eveline said...

I claim to love them squirmy things then promptly freak out whenever one comes within, oh, about a hundred yards of me. And then I shriek like a little girl. But then I'm a girl so I can get away with it. :P

There's a reason to everything. Maybe it's your destiny to be a worm whisperer. Ever thought about that? It means you'll just have to make it much closer to take the pic next time. :D

ku2 said...

@Lucy: No worries about that, I dont eat voksa rep, tralalalala... i once swallowed a small spider, though :D No harm done.

@Eve: Worm whisperer, lol! Its more like worm shrieker. Why can't the adventurous lil' things just roam the gardens? They have to invade our concrete jungles too, grrr

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Oh my, oh my! You have all my sympathy. I'm sooo scared of those critters they're the stuff of my nightmares!

ku2 said...

Haha, I think they're created specially to remind us womenfolk of our mortality :D