Sunday, March 7, 2010

"The other half of the sky is the most beautiful"- For Mother-i



I am blessed with the best mother in the whole wide world.

Unconventional yet traditional, outspoken yet respectful, pious yet pragmatic. And always strong. That's my momma.

Your'e one of my best friends but you never let me lose sight of the fact that your'e also my mother. I remember telling you that I am scared of marriage. And you told me that, despite the fact that our religion and culture is against it, you actually approve the idea of live-in, trial marriages! Of course, you hastened to add that you did not want to actually let me make that kind of arrangement :-)

I like that you told me that I should quit smoking, but gave me the option to make my own decision as an adult without imposing your authority on me. I like that you always treat me as an adult, and refuse to sugar coat the truth. But you are never brutal with it too.

I love that you want your daughters to be strong, independent women. I love that you wish we would have the courage to backpack around the world, but that your'e equally protective of us. I like that you bought me a scooter so that I would not have to always rope in a guy to ferry me about. I'm sorry that I chickened out and the scooter is lying idle in the garage. Most of all, I love that you don't think that that makes me a pansy (at least you don't say it out loud) :P

I loooovee that you listen to Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin (My mom ROCKS)!!! I love that you listen to the songs on my playlist like A7X, Silverchair, Coldplay and Matchbox 20. I love that you always give us a couple of beers on special occasions so that we won't have to go sneak off drinks from some dubious source.

I love that you never turn away a hand in need, but you never give free hand outs either. When less fortunate people come begging to you, you always make them do little chores around the house, and then you pay them extravagantly. You take them to hospitals if they or any one in their family needs medical help. But what I love the most is that you refuse to treat anyone as a beggar; rather you make them feel like worthy human beings who have the capability to EARN their bread for them selves.

I love that you never badgered dad to bring in more money when you had to struggle to pay for the education and boarding fees of five girls. You sold off your jewellery without a qualm. I swear that we will repay you for all those and more.

I love your courage. When dad went away on a business trip, and a burglar entered our house one night, you chased him off with a frying pan, and stayed awake all night in case he would come back. And you did all this quietly so that we won't wake up and be frightened. You teach us that God watches over us all, but that we also have to watch out for ourselves so that we may not make His work harder.

Most of all, momma, I respect the fact that you are so hard working. You refuse to sit idle. You do what is considered a man's job. Carpentry, cementing, layering, plumbing, field work- you do all that, apart from the traditional women's work. And the most amazing transformation takes place when you change out of your dirty work clothes and you turn yourself into a big-shot officer's pampered-looking wife. Your hands are rough and calloused, but they are the most beautiful hands to me.

I love you, Mother-i. Your'e a phenomenal woman and I am proud to be yours.


3 comments:

Jerusha said...

You're right, your mom sounds like she rocks. The beers, the music...if only more moms were like that! I'm sure we'd have a larger population of non-judgmental, trust-worthy Mizos haha

Jerusha said...

Oh and why doppelganger? I'm deeply interested but I find it sppoky to death as well..But I know there are many ways to look at the word as such so..just curious.

ku2 said...

@Jerusha: My mom failed with me! Had she suceeded I would have been out there conquering worlds!!

And doppelganger..ahhh, the evil double... I thought here I would be able to pour out the darker, evil side of me :( Turns out I haven't any!!