Friday, February 26, 2010

My Brothers.

Actually meant cousins… Had a brief chat with one, and he made me nostalgic for the good ol’ days. I have four sisters, and somehow I was designated to be the ‘guy’ among the bunch. So when we were young my bros treated me like the runt of the litter- using me as a punching bag, tying me up, ambushing me in tandem when playing “intheng kah”… Things haven’t changed that much. When they come over to our place, they crowd into my tiny room, smoke up a storm, sneak in a lil’ booze, and generally leave a mess there. And the worst part is, I get none of the perks of being a guy. They forbid me to even have a tiny sip, they rat on me when I smoke, they never take me on their night outs, and they constantly send me to brew endless cups of tea. But … I still love them. My bros are typical characters. They fit neatly into slots like…:

The Sweetheart:

This describes my bro whom I will call…Kawla, hihihi… During those Mirc days, he was chatting with my very bored sister. Sis decided to be screwball and she fabricated this story about how she had gone home with one Tibetan guy one drunken night. Now she’s preggers, and the guy refuses to know, and she can’t keep the baby, so she’s going to abort it, but it costs 5000 bucks, and she’s broke. Rtpa just said, “Hold on”, then went offline. Sis thought he got pissed with her lies, but then he returned an hour later.

“Okay, I’ve just couriered 3000 to your hostel. I’ll borrow the 2000 tonight, and send it to you tomorrow. Make sure you go to a good hospital”.

Sweetie!! My sis confessed that she had lied, and he started to get angry. So, sis switched tactics, and she reamed into him for even believing she could do something like that. “How could you think that of your own sister, blah, blah”… So in the end, he apologized for being fooled, heheh. And she made him wait a long time till she sent him back his money. Love the guy. On his wedding day, when the Pastor asked him to repeat the vows after him, he said “Huh? Mo?”

The Inebriated:

L had a new girl, and he went, for the first time, to her place. He was so nervous that he drank more than he should. He decided to have a quick shower there to sober up. So he went into his girl’s bathroom, took off his clothes… and passed out!! When he didn’t emerge even after an hour, his girl called him over and over. Of course, he was way past hearing. So, his frantic girl, thinking that something bad must have happened, called her landlord, who came with his two sons, and they broke down the bathroom door. And there was my bro L, snoozing blissfully in the buff…

Then there is Tai… went with some girls to a pub, fancied one of them badly too. Maybe he was nervous, but he too had a little too much. He puked all over the girl, and to top it off, he immediately crooned Rod Stewart’s “D’you think I’m sexy?” The girl obviously didn’t. He is now permanently stuck in the “friend” category.

The Bad Boy:

How we dreaded meeting S on the streets, when he would beg, “Please, please, just a 100 bucks, ok, 50, …just 20, please, please…” Tried every intoxicant he could lay his hands on. Lost his virginity at the age of 12!! Been in more bike accidents than I can count. Accidents where his helmet was shattered, where the docs couldn’t find his pulse… One day he decided to be worried about his life.

“You know… if I keep on going like this, I think I will die soon.”

And I told him in best big sis mode, “Ahh, don’t worry. Only the good die young.”

This cheered him up immensely.

And he is sweet too. One night he was high on alcohol, weed and some other stuffs. He watched with a sloppy grin as I waxed every inch of his legs. He couldn’t wear shorts for a whole month that hot summer. And he never once got mad at me J

The Good Guy:

H is currently studying Theology. He is the good one. That time the rest of us decided to bunk the graveside ceremony of a relative’s funeral and go for a ride on Tlawng road, he was the one who vetoed the idea and dragged us all to the cemetery. But… he is kinda a rebel. He has mixed feelings about the church’s ban on pastors with tattoos, so he went and got a tattoo. And his tattoo is a beautifully lettered ISUA. And he waits eagerly to see what the church makes of that!! Hehehah!!

And F… though younger than me, he treats me like an annoying little sister. Very very fun guy. Everybody, and I mean everybody loves him. He manages to be BFFs with my friends on the first day that he meets them. And he is seriously over protective too. He glares at any guy who even glances my way. He punched his friend for kissing my sister. They are married now. My guy is one of his best friends too, and the unwritten rule is that we must not act lovey dovey when he is there. My best memory of him is the time when a group of drunk guys eve-teased me, and he stood up for me. I could see that he was shit scared, but he confronted those louts. For me. Awwwww…

Ka lung a leng. They are all scattered here and there, and half of them are married. So I rarely get to meet them. I miss the times when they would clutter up my room and talk about how many times they scored with the ladies, and how ‘cool’ they are with them. Of course, when we talk one-on-one, they tell me the truth, so I know they are not the Casanovas they pretend to be, but are actually wusses.. But I always back up their little lies because I am a good sister too!! J

2 comments:

Eveline said...

Sounds like your brothers...umm.. cousins seem to be loads of fun. I never did have the privilege of having male siblings or male cousins who were really close to me. But I do have a wonderful bro-in-law. We spend a lot of time together constantly and we were best friends even before he married my sis.
Bro-in-law is slightly less fun since he gave up drinking. But he's a good man with a big heart, someone you want on your side. Luckily he's always on mine.
This is a really good post. :))

ku2 said...

^ Yeahhh, i love em.. they bully me real bad, but then they spoil me in equal measure too... my bros are really bad drunks, so its always a fun time when i catch them drunk, lol... sisterhood is fine and all that, but sometimes, we need our bros around too, even if only for comic relief :)