Friday, September 10, 2010

Snakes, death, a wedding and a song for the lovers.

Recently, one of our Gospel singers came under fire for posing with a python and publishing that photo on FB . Some people thought she was "satanic" and some remarked that it was highly inappropriate for a gospel singer, that too a female, to pose with a snake/ python. Maybe it's the Snake in the Garden connotation but if I'm not mistaken, we Mizos have always been antagonistic towards snakes. Recently, there has been intense debates on public forums on whether we should kill or spare snakes. Killing snakes that are potentially harmful, I can understand. 


However, I wonder what it is about posing with a python that would prompt the Satanism comments. If we're going to connect all snakes with the Devil because of the Eden incident, why not just denounce all pigs as demon-possessed too? Selective Satanism at play here? I have posed with a garden snake and gifted a snake corpse to BF. I don't eat pork. Am I unknowingly Satanic then? Then again, Im no gospel singer so maybe that doesn't apply to me. Yay!


A boy I once knew OD'ed recently. He is/was the cousin of a friend and though its been years since I saw him last, his death came as a huge shock. I remember him as a quiet, nice little kid with great musical potential and I'm angered/saddened/ grieved at the loss. Death is harsh, but when it happens to the young, it seems even more so.


My 40 year-old uncle got married yesterday. His bride is 26. So that means when his future bride was born, he was already a 14-year old boy-man. Sounds ew, I know, but strangely they look right together. There were a few close calls along the way for my unc but his heart was never really in it. It took him 40 years to finally marry his soulmate and he is ecstatic. So take heart, lonely ..er.. hearts. The search ain't over yet.


And finally, this one's for everyone who has loved, has lost, is hoping to love and who currently loves.
Richard Ashcroft's " A Song for the lovers". 


 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnh8nszFU0

9 comments:

dr_feelgood said...

Alice Cooper used to pose with a boa constrictor during his hey-days. Heard he is piangthar now and sings gospel!! I hope our gospel singer is not going to do the reverse. Ha ha ha.

gr135l said...

.not because of the Eden incident nor because i find it satanic..i hate snakes and its related species that crawl and stick out lengthy slender tongues..creeps me out "trotrally".i cnt bear the sight of even an innocent house lizard! whether they have amazingly unique hides or not, i still have'nt found out their importance on the face of this earth....o! for a world without snakes!!! LOL

Eveline said...

Religious institutions and people have double standards when it comes to what is acceptable and what's not.

I'm certainly no prude but damn our religious dipped societies which is over-critical not in a good way. And I of course worry about the generation after us, internalizing it and wondering about religion in an unhealthy way.

Cheers to your uncle :) Gives me hope. :P

baruk said...

one story makes one despair, the other gives one hope. really depends where one stands on the religio-cultural-social lines that decides which is which huh?

ku2 said...

@Dr.: Alice "Poison" Cooper is now a gospel singer? hahaha, I'd loove to see him perform :D

@Gr:I like snakes actually :D They're beautiful, methinks,I'll happily play with one thats been de-fanged. The importance of snakes...umm.. besides their skin, they provide anti-venom for their own venom, heh. Too, if there were no snakes, an evil possum/rhino/ bison tempting Eve would not sound as entertaining :D

ku2 said...

@Eve: I sometimes wonder if Im missing something cos I dont understand why there is so much importance attached to rituals and symbols when faith is supposed to be all that's needed. Maybe Im really the misguided one here- I dont know, heh

@baruk: Was kinda my intention to give that impression with this post. Audioslave said it best-
"Someone gets excited in a chapel yard, catches a bouquet
Another lays a dozen white roses on a grave".
All depends on where we stand, yep.

Anonymous said...

I guess the snake/python around her neck meta-morphed into an albatross.. lolz..
But seriously, a snake around ones neck is lesser an act of satanism than the complete disregard for corruption..
BTW: I really liked the way "In requeim" has been written, makes me nostalgic. Can't comment on it tho', whether on purpose is unknown.

jay-me said...

very chohchoroi i must say but they all fit together, the title proves it so. My friend, you are one hell of a writer, snake or no snake, pork or no pork hehe!

ku2 said...

@Black: Thanks. Was intentional, heh.
The fear of evil creates evil, methinks.

@Jayme: Heh, thank you babeh