Monday, September 6, 2010

For an Old Teacher

The school grounds were lush and green, cherry blossoms and tall fir trees lined either side of the long driveway and old colonial-style buildings served as classrooms. If you peep through the holes in the dividing wall,you could see animals like deer, monkeys, assorted birds and a tiger and a bear from the neighbouring mini zoo in Lady Hydari Park.   


And it was in this school that I felt my academically dumbest.


As was customary among many Ist Div students, I was made to take up Science stream after Matriculation. XI was okay. I failed in Physics but then I always failed in Physics, so it was not that big a deal. Percentage-wise, I was second in class, so they made me Asst. Prefect. 


And then Class-XII happened. Physics teacher said, "My God, you are so vague" which was pretty much what I expect since I get that reaction a lot from my Physics teachers. Then Chemistry teacher said, "Aiyaaa, what to do. All your reactions are wrong". and Maths teacher said, "Noh!"


Biology, in which I was a pretty good student also defeated me. I had always been slightly intimidated by our Bio teacher's very cosmopolitan, larger-than-life persona. So when one day, after a particularly bad test, she asked me to stay back, I was pretty scared. I was surprised the, when she said, "You know, the world needs poets and writers as much as it needs doctors and engineers. Your English marks are good. If things dont work out with the Science subjects, you could opt for literature or Mass. Comm."


Then she showed me my marks. Incredibly, she had given me an 8 for a 12 mark question, though I knew I deserved only a 4 or 5 at most. I remember the question was about the human eye and my answer contained only about 15% of biological facts. The rest was a desperate mish-mash of what I have gleaned from Physics about lenses and my own personal, rather flowery description of the eye's importance. And I had drawn a large diagram of an eye, complete with mascara'd lashes and hints of eye-shadow. Rendered in pencil-gray.


With a smile she said, "4marks for accuracy, 3 for creativity and 1 mark for cheekiness".


Perhaps this was not the most ethical means of grading a paper, but by then I had become the student with the lowest marks in class, my Asst. Prefect status was removed, so I was feeling pretty dumb. And it was'nt that I slacked off. Those were probably my most studious years. The Sciences were simply beyond me. Therefore what she said had a pretty huge impact on my shattered ego.


I couldnt forget what she said. I told my parents I want to continue with Arts after XII, but they were against it. Then by a stroke of luck, I failed my ISC. And they had to concede that I did not have the aptitude for Science. I had to repeat my XII, and once again had the lowest marks in class. Despondent, I considered throwing in the towel and it was again Bio teacher who spurred me on.

"We have had two Pachuau girls who completed ISC here. And they were both toppers. Looks like you're going to be the first Pachuau drop-out. Perhaps you Pachuau girls aren't so tough after all". Incensed, I completed my ISC with a respectable IInd Div. 


I saw her just once afterwards. She had recently had an operation for an ovarian cyst and we went to visit her. There was a mini-basketball court on her lawns and she challenged me to a one-on-one game. I told her I cant play and she said, "Im playing with a handicap. Dont be so wimpy". So we played. 


I can still remember what she looked like that day. Pale and haggard without her customary theatrical make-up, thin from the operation, but laughing loudly in complete abandonment. 


I dropped Science and took up English as my Majors after that. And I have never had cause to regret it. So far "4 for accuracy, 3 for creativity and 1 for cheekiness" has managed to serve me well.

7 comments:

gr135l said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gr135l said...

my dear....this entry is so nostalgic..!!funny tho why u put up this pic when ure not even there????neways..this is by far my fav pic of all pinemount days..Kharku wasnt my fav teacher but she sure was the most concerned one among the lot i think..judging from the number of times she nagged and admonished us..i hope she still remains the fashionista tht she was..365 jainsem for 365 days!! in all of my pm years i didnt see her wearing the same dress ever!!!I had the most low- self- esteem -moments in tht school too coz every1 was so brainy,eloquent,even the class 3 girls made me look small when they'd chatter abt.. Mrs Smith scared the daylights outta me everytime i had to meet her in her chamber...Mrs Roy Chowdhury lost hope in me too in Physics...LOL!!
....i cant believe u'd drawn a mascara lashed skectch of an eye..i know ur sketching skills and im sure it was one smoky eye!!!LOL

Anonymous said...

"..1 for cheekiness" I bet that was a pretty smart teacher, possibly more smart than pretty.. :P or both!

ku2 said...

@Grace: I wouldnt exactly call her my fave teacher, but she was prolly the most influential. Hell, she was irritating at times, but she could always make me laugh afterwards.
I couldnt find any of the pics where PMS campus in all its glory was shown. Hei chiah hi awma.

@Black: Not conventionally pretty, but one helluva woman.

Jay-me said...

huizzz im so tired, my life's just so hectic these days and yet im enjoying every minute but dont wanna lose you or your posts either so i save a few minutes of my time just for your post and this post is one of your many that makes it worthy lol and please, spare me the "i knew you'd always had a crush on me" joke, certain unnecessary comments on my post make me really snappy these days...heh...but you're still a great friend.

Calliopia said...

Three cheeers for your Bio teacher. She was right, the world needs poets and writers as much as it needs doctors and engineers, and had it not been for her timely advice, the world would have been so much the poorer without your writings!

ku2 said...

@James: Min tlawn! Enge i mamoh aaaa :D :D
@Calliopia: Heh, thank you. The scientific world also breathed a huge sigh of relief when I turned my back on it :)