Friday, June 11, 2010

The unmarried sister- a must-have.

After five (wonderful) daughters, my parents have been recently blessed with a fourth grandSON. (It runs in both sides of my family, this propensity towards having children all belonging one sex). So anyway, guess who was called on to assist in all this wonderful plethora of child-bearing and rearing? Unmarried sister extraordinaire Kuku, that's who. 


I've been alternating nights at the hospital with my mom because my bro-in-law's family does not have any available, competent nurse to help my sister recuperate. I don't mind though, even if the latest addition to the family is an ugly little bawl-his-lungs-out-at-all-hours-of-the-night crybaby. Being called on to help out is part of being THE unmarried sister, after all. 


I was in boarding school when daughter #1 had her son, but I comforted her through her crying jags and midnight cravings for wai-wai during her pregnancy. Daughter #4,who by-passed #2 and me, #3 at the marriage stakes should get down on her knees and thank me. I changed numerous diapers for her two sons, even washing soiled cloths for her. Then when she and her husband decided to cut set up house together, her husband had to go frequently out of station, so I was the one who had to help her get set up. 


She was heavily pregnant with her second son at the time, and this was just before Christmas, so you can imagine the picture- me trying my best to shield my future nephew from the rush of the crowd as we go search for stuffs for their house. I did things I never imagined myself doing- haggling with Pick-up truck drivers for delivery and stuff, walking all over Aizawl searching for good but not-too-expensive furniture items, buying floor carpets, cushions, cutlery etc. and arranging their delivery- all the while protecting my unborn nephew and his bursting-at-the-seams mother.  


It's a fact that with great responsibility comes great grumpiness. Before #1 and #2 got married, they were the epitome of grumpiness because the responsibility of the house fell on them. My mom declared some fifteen years ago that with five daughters, she was retiring from household chores and concentrating on doing what she loved best- doing manual work in the garden and our farm. So the onus of the household chore-dom fell naturally on the eldest sister. Hence the grumpiness. 


And then they got married and became mothers. #1, whom we secretly nick-named "The Dragon" became a madonna- placid, smiling and endlessly patient. And #2 with her hair-line temper has now followed suit. Last night, as her little tyke kept up an incessant wail, she crooned softly to him with the tenderest smile. Of course, when her husband, who also spent the night there remarked on the unruliness of their 4-day old baby, she turned on him like a tigress. And when I slept a little too soundly and the little monster's diaper needed to be changed, she called "Kuku... KUKU... CHHUUUNGIII!!!(Her lovely pet-name for me)".


#4, who, as I mentioned by-passed me and #2, loves reminding me that my biological clock is ticking. She's always been a little different; eversince she was a kid, her aim had been to be a good wife and mother. Of the five of us, she's the only one who fulfilled her childhood dreams (I wanted to be the first female CM of Mizoram). She says, "By the time I'm in my thirties, my kids won't need that much looking after, and I'll be able to re-beautify myself and concentrate on doing what I want. Giving birth ages you, and by the time you give birth you'll be too old to rejuvenate yourself". She also loves warning me of how much it will hurt because I left it so late to have children. She should know, she took barely an hour to go from labour pains to giving birth. Lucky thing. 


So anyway, as the relatively competent unmarried sister, I'm the one who's always called on to do the dirty jobs. I now hold the dubious honour of being the elder sister, since there's only me and #5 left. And I'm starting to become grumpy too. Maybe when I have a child I'll become sweet-tempered again. I know, I know, its terribly chauvinistic to say that motherhood makes placid beings out of harridans and if a guy had said this I'd probably shoot him.


I don't intend to be the unmarried sister forever. I want my own ugly little monster and a live heater in my bed too someday. And this reminds me of a conversation I had with my grandmother some months back. I was basking in the warmth of her praise over my being an all-round great daughter and sister, when she said, "You must never get married. You should stay home and look after your parents and be there for your sisters anytime they need you". I guess I protested a little too loudly because now the whole maternal side of the family jokes about my fear of NOT getting married.


Anyway, time to cut off my long with this great lesson for all- treat your unmarried sisters like gold, for one day they may get married.

16 comments:

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Five daughters! Very Pride & Prejudice-ish. So which one of the Bennet girls are you?
But having four sister must be so much fun.All that clothes and makeup to share, all that fun and gossip.
I was never around when my nephews and nieces were born, so I don't know if I can qualify as a must-have. But wait,I could still contend for the position of The Cool Aunt.

Mizohican said...

Chhungi, nice post.

So you will always be the super aunt to all your nephews and nieces, the one they run to when they get their first period or overflow, the one they can always trust and confide in. You sure are lucky to be that super aunt. I kinda agree with your grandma. :)

Eveline said...

Whenever I regret dumping my 21 year old commitment obsessed boyfriend I always remember my cousin's small, loud, and very sharp-toothed children, and how the evening usually ends with someone bleeding — one year it even began with someone bleeding. I realize I'm happy being my older sister's helper and not having football players of my own. I also hope they wont have kids in hell. :P

ku2 said...

@Aduhi: Sis #2 loves to lord it over me that its always the 2nd sister (Pride & Prejudice, Little Women) who's the strong heroine and who gets the cool guy. With 4 other sisters, it sometimes felt like a hostel, complete with catfights and clothes-borrowing. And a Cool Aunt is also a very hot commodity :D

@Illu: Unless you want a sex change and a different set of parents, don't call me Chhungi :p
I too want kids of my own (and a superman to foist them off on when I tire of them) so granny's advice is not admissible here.

@Eve: Yeahh, kids are sooo... tiring at times. Right now I love playing with my nephews, but what I love most is when I can send them off to their moms when they tire me out or poop on me too often. I've never liked kids that much too, and kids in hell, ouch for a very different reason! Despite the devils they can sometimes be (ref, your latest post) I want them all to go to Heaven , poor things :D

Mimihrahsel said...

I always always always want to have a sister, lucky you. Be happy that your in a position to help them out. And they are Blessed to have someone like you.

Mos-a said...

Lend me a sister. I always wanted to have a sister :(

Chuanin English zir i ni bawk sia i thil huat deuh tur kan pawint out loks. The plural of stuff is Stuff. Or the word stuff is already its own plural. Verb ah chuan a pawi chuang lo. "he stuffs himself with lots of food.."

I duhleh google rawh :). Only good friends point out our errors so don't hate me. :(

Kalawme.

ku2 said...

@Mims: I want a brother, preferably an older one.Inthleng ang hmiang, pakhat tal chu :)
Yeap, I'm happy to be the one to help, ka u te phei chu an generous thei lutuk, heheh.

@Mosa: Its American English 'stuffs', anything goes in Americanese (ti ta ringawt mai ang). Oh the shame, I'm using American English..
And I've already lent you a sister. I utilize thiamlo anih kha.

Mos-a said...

@cuckoo - American English pawn stuffs tih an hman awm ka hre lo reng reng. Lo research rawh i peih chuan :D . Calliopes-i khan rawn sawi ve seee mahse min tran dawn lo sa :(

I sister pawh a ngai ngai in ka rawn pek let leh che u kha. Giggle.

ku2 said...

@Amosh: Official English (Ame or Brit) ka hmang hleinemmmm.. Miss Calliopia pun awihloh, fairlo. Henceforth I shall be careful to use proper English and not the American television version.Kan zirlaiah propah deuha hman a ngaia, hetia cut loose ve te hi nuamve alawm, enge?
Sis ah chuan i influence a langlo khawp mai, ni e, cackle.

Mos-a said...

@cuckoo - i won't press my point any further. Upa zawk ni mah ila ka ngawi hmasa zawk mai ange (i blog te a ni bawk si nen). Lets just agree to stuff it for now you Hitler symphatiser .
i sister nen kan inkar thil vel kha chu blog tham lawih a awm (or maybe not). I'd like to think that I made her a better person, to see beauty in everything etc etc. (snarfle)

Calliopia said...

Whaa-aat? Solly, can't hear you. Being vuvuzeled out of my socks. Over and out. Bleh.

ku2 said...

@Amosh: Analysis paralysis :D
Mi thusawi hnial i hrat em a, ka agree chung chung paw'n i sawi anih vang hrim2 in kan hnialve che anih kha :p Good point, though. Mahse Bignone sympathiser ka tive kherlo che, German hre tlem pa. The Red Baron leh Oliver Kahn te, scientists, composers etc an tam em mai. "I made her a better person..." Huis.

@Calliopia: Huh, what? Vuvuzela an ham leh vu vu zelaaa

Jerusha said...

haha I can relate..eldest sister, youngest one with baby blah blah..but fortunately (i guess?) I'm not around so changing diapers et al falls on the ones stuck at home. But even out here I get teased endlessly because people keep finding me lurking in shops in like 'Mother Care' and buying baby toothbrushes, baby clothes...

fierce flame said...

kuku dearest, what a joyful read. although i cant relate(and thank god for that!lol).
however, it took me awhile to get all the numbering of the sisters and their statuses

jay-me said...

Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Something's ticking? Wait Is that what i think it is? Cant be..Ure soo yo..naaah its defntly ur biologl clock..lol lets nt b the last ones left out lol bro wants me never 2 get married, he said "ur da niece/nephew guardian type not a wife/mother material" sob bt we ve jst gt 2 giv it a try rite? rem how we used 2 say we dnt wnt 2 b married yet??can we stil profess our desire to delay wife/mother-hood???sob its a cruel world that tells us to move over as the younger generatn takes our place.

ku2 said...

@Jeru:I haaate shopping with my married sisters. One minute we're trying on shoes, the next they're looking for diapers, diaper liners etc and on the way home, chawhmeh an han lei paha.. shopping buzz-kill!

@Fierce:Lolzz..I know,people keep asking, which one are you? add that to the fact that most of my sisters are petite, and they sometimes think I'm the eldest, blehh! Saw you the other day with YOUR baby aka Gabbar on the way to the vet.

@Jay: I vang. Just because of renewal of interests :D
hEY, I know that even if I never get married, I'll have you as company, hehe..but knowing the persuasiveness of the Vuvuzela aka Hamrik, I don't think you'll be the unmarried aunt for long.