Sunday, June 3, 2012

I love rain! (Not the Korean guy)

And the monsoon is officially here again- I think.
For now, the rains aren't quite that heavy, and after the previous week's scorching heat, they are absolutely welcome.

There's something about the rain that awakens the nostalgic spirit in me.
-Memories of childhood walking along side-drains with friends, carefully picking our school skirts in one hand, and holding our naughtyboy shoes in the other. Sneaking inside the house so that my mother won't nag me about my rain-soaked hair and clothes.

-Curling up in bed with a good book to read and a bad boy to daydream about :)

- High school moments when a crush would seek shelter underneath the same awning, and I would turn crimson with excitement eventhough he never noticed me around.... (He has a paunch now, yay! :p)

- That time I and a friend (God, I forgot her name) were given a free ride by a very nice taxi driver who felt sorry for our drenched selves and we imagined he was taking us somewhere else to molest us and the look of surprised consternation on his face when we begged tearfully that he release us please and he let us out in the pouring rain (May you prosper- good, misunderstood sir!)

- That time when Mimi and I sought shelter at a dingy mithai shop and the shopowner gave us free tea and boiled eggs. Best boiled eggs I've ever had in my life. Thank you, sir!

- That awesome day when a biker splashed muddy water all over my school skirt and he stopped to apologize and he turned out to be a huuuge crush (who has since passed away) and I ended up walking on sunshine all the way back home :):)

- Being walked home by the new (and still reigning :p) BF and one of his friends, and we forgot to be 'cool' and splashed mudwater all over each other. Belatedly realizing I was carrying an umbrella all along, and he gave me a quick kiss under the umbrella right there on that deserted, mist-covered, tree-lined road, while his friend made gagging sounds.

- Recent trip to Shillong, waiting for this roadside chaiwallah's pot to boil, while rainwater dripped from our umbrella and we shivered in the cold. Anticipation + cold + Shillong = best red tea of my life.

- Being cooped indoors with that certain someone and feeling nooo pain at ALL :)

- Having the wind wrest my umbrella from my hands and go billowing right in the middle of a busy intersection, and running to retrieve it while patient Aizawl drivers stopped for me. And not a single horn was honked (Bless you all). And then immediately afterwards phoning the guy to alleviate my embarrassment (And bless him too for being there to receive all my "I just made a fool of myself again" calls).

And there are still so many more rainy day memories- all of which makes me realise that events in themselves are really nothing, except that they are made special by the people we are with. And the memories I associate with rain has almost always been of the best kind. Or maybe I've blocked out the "you left me. Alone. In the rain." kind of shitty memories that makes some people associate rain with pain.

And maybe a few more weeks of this and I'll complain about the wetness and the mould and yearn for sun-dried clothes. But for now, let it rain.

P.S: This is so my rainy day song :)



7 comments:

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Rain is OK during summer, but otherwise my feelings towards it can be best described in two words: Bah, Humbug!

Calliopia said...

What a happy litany of monsoon memories. I've always hated the season with the mud and wet and general depressing air but after I got interested in photography, I loved it. But then I got these expensive SLR cams and now I can't risk getting the lenses wet so it's back to "rain arghhhhh!"

LR Hlonchhing said...

School days i sawi khian ka lung a ti leng ru riau, ka naupan lai ka thlir let a.

Lucy In The Sky said...

Awii lung i ti leng. Kan school kal lai min ti hrechhuak uai uai mai. Fur laia school kal kha a van hnawm thin tak. Zingah ruah a sur a, classroomah huh dup a kan han thu thin kha chu, nuam lemlo tak a ni lol

I dam em?

ku2 said...

@aduhi: It's super hot right now and I want the rain back :(
@calliopia: haha,the photographers' gripe. For me its "the humidity, arrrgghhhh!"
@Lr hlonchhing: Ruah do hi chu ka upat san thei tak2 lo, nuam hi ka la ti reng.
@lucy: uiiii, rehnaness, ka la dam ve zel e, nang zawk? A vawh lutuk loh hi chuan huh dup a classroom a thut pawh kha a hrehawm ka ti hranlo, hehe. Ruahthimpui a rawn sura, current awmlo nen, class lak theih silova, ramhuai thawnthu kan sawia, kan au lui vak2 a, a nuam thei em maiii :D

H.Vangchhia said...

A thupui khi ka duh nghal tawp. A thu tluang pawh chhiar/thlir a nuam e.

ku2 said...

@HV: Thank you! Mahse Rain-a channa Full House kha chu ka enlaklawha, ka entluan ve parh. Khata a no nen nen, Ninja Assasin-ah khan a ti thei leh zek reuh sia, a tha ve reng reng e