Saturday, June 23, 2012

Engliss

At a recent PTA meeting at the college where I sub at, one of the parents asked why children today are so weak in English, especially spoken English. While there could be any number of answers to that question, the best and the most obvious one would be that we Mizos have very little opportunity to actually talk in English. So while there are many who can write well in English, actually conversing in the language is still a daunting prospect for many of us- whether its because the sudden shift from a first to a second language confuses us, or because we are unsure of how to pronounce the words correctly or we are worried about our accent.

I have also found that even among English honours students, when conducting a class wholly in English, I am often met by blank or glazed stares and I have to switch to Mizo to make sure that I get my point across to the students. So a typical lecture would consist of 70% English and 30% Mizo.

While in hostel in Shillong, it was necessary not just to converse, but also to think in English. So the words came naturally. But its been ten years since I've had the opportunity to speak English on a daily process, so when faced with a situation that calls for a sudden shift in one's language, I often find myself floundering for words.

 Like the time I had an interview. Prior to that I had stopped off at a friend's place because it was her birthday and she had given me what I thought was some "Burma thil", but which turned out to be tiny hashish pellets. The interview, needless to say, was a disaster, what with my confusion over the shift in language, worsened by my being mildly high. The only thing that came to mind while I was interviewed were the words, "It is." I became more and more flustered by this mental block, and the more flustered I became, the more that mental block grew.

We had advised our students to read more and to assimilate the language more when watching TV, so that they can learn to think in English. We also told them to speak the language every opportunity they get, so that they could be more comfortable with the spoken word. I have another interview coming up, so I've decided to follow our own advice. Hence the reason why I have recently decided to update my blog despite a soul-crushing lack of inspiration, blah. 

The competition is daunting but at least this way, I can redeem myself a bit, and hopefully, not stumble through another interview mumbling, "Uh..it is.. um, well, it's like this. Ihh.. It is aaa..."



14 comments:

Mimihrahsel said...

Having the opportunity to mingle with many non-mizo friends outside Mizoram for 6 years(oh well now its 7), IMHO,I still find Mizo people to be more fluent in English in comparison to anyone. Well, there are of course some extra talented English writing/speaking people out there like you where I have to google some of the words you use (hehe), as a whole I think WE still excel. And I feel that this is because of the western influence where our favorite movies and songs are in English and need not be dubbed in Mizo. One thing that has recently been bothering me, is, people who laugh at others for wrong pronunciation like 'EngliS'. I used to be one of them too, but now i think its better to let them be or correct them instead of laughing at their back. all the best for your interview.. it is.. :)

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Stupid but might-be-useful tip: Read out loud.
Stupid tip 2 (for the interview): speak slowly so that when you pause while searching for a word your interviewers will think you are pausing for the dramatic effect.
But I find it hard to imagine you fumbling through words.. in any language!

ku2 said...

@mimi: about mispronunciation bit- Remember how in high school we deliberately messed up our English? Well, that has continued and hihi, one time our HOD asked me a question and I replied without thinking, "well, I waas zaaas about tru shay.." then I remembered myself and I corrected the way I spoke. Still remember the funny look she gave me :D

@aduhi: Yes!! The problem with me is that I always talk fast when Im nervous. The first few weeks that I started teaching, I used to finish a 45 minute lecture within 20 minutes. Then I would spend the rest of the class red-faced, stammering and repeating what I have said :D And yes, I fumble in Mizo too when I'm nervous.

Calliopia said...

I'm soooo tempted to just put down It is! and run away from here but this is an issue that's dear to my heart so here we go. As a non-native speaking English teacher in an environment that prefers sticking to its own language, I also often struggle with letting the Inglis come trippingly off the tongue. And one simple way that helps me tons is writing in English. Sure, writing is different from speaking and doesn't exactly unravel and uncurl the crazy knots that the tongue gets entangled in, but expressing my thoughts in English works wonders, I've found. That's partly why I write so much in English. And just recently I was attacked by some twerp on an FB group for using so much English. He made a post saying that since it was a Mizo group, everyone should use only Mizo and everything should be as Mizo as possible. "Mizo takin" et al. Sadly, he didn't realise he himself wasn't even using a Mizo name but an English one :D

Mizohican said...

One fine day in B-School, I was giving a powerpoint presentation to my class (as a part of our course) and my topic was "Basics of accounting". I had to talk about what assets and liabilities are, and I know one of them is "things you own" and the other is "things you owe". But I got confused. So with a little quick thinking on stage, I explained to the class, "Assets are what you ooooow and liabilities are what you ooooow". The professor assumed it was my Mizo accent and gave me full marks. Bwahahaha :D

benjamin rualthanzauva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
benjamin rualthanzauva said...

Let the kids drink, they will speak English :)

diary said...

Must have been terrible, being high on an interview! I once went for a viva without sleeping and I had a total mindblock. The professor asked me the name of my hometown and I just went blank. It was the worst 20 minutes.

Speaking in English is tough for Mizos, we have this inbuilt Mizo-ness that makes us fear speaking in English, because people tend to think we are showing off! Also, we have so many Mizo pronunciations of english words, like 'daplicate' 'cashion', 'botol', 'ges' for 'gas' etc. The Mizo version of Biblical words don't help either..like Macedonia, David etc etc.

blackestred said...

I've felt the same way too.. I know educated Mizo students and employees who have excellent written vocabulary, but struggle in English conversations with non-mizos, because they cannot "think" in English... which is really important.
When I try to speak in Hindi, I need to translate it first before I speak, because I don't "think" in Hindi, and the same goes for English.
Also, I think we don't emphasize enough on pronunciation... etc etc..

ku2 said...

@Caliopia: It is! I knoww, someone once made a snide comment about how I update posts on FB in English- Saptawng in thiam bik eee. So I replied, "Not really, but I'm learning". To which he replied, "e", which, IMHO, didn't qualify any more responses :D

@Mizohican: Ah, the fadeaway, can't remember how many times it has come to my rescue :D

@benjamin: Heeehee, greaat idea :D 'Course a majority of the dialogue would consist of 'brah', 'love you, man', 'faaak' and 'bullshit'hehe

ku2 said...

@diary: it was absolutely horrible. The faces of each interviewer came into sharp focus when I looked at them, and I was convinced I was either glaring or staring cock-eyed at them so I kept on blinking rapidly...

@blackestred: Hah, reminded of this boy with an "American" accent whose essay contained words like, "He was gonna be angry big time" :D

Philo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philo said...

Back in the day, I'd get my students to make up stories and tell it to the class in English. Don't know if they benefited, but it was great fun. Wishing you the best for your upcoming interview...and...oh yeah, keep the hash!

ku2 said...

hey, great idea, should try it on our students one of these days. And haha,my friend has been trying to either get me drunk or high eversince I told her what her hash did to me. So not giving her the satisfaction :D