Sunday, August 1, 2010

My misfits :)

Its ironic, really. 
One comes from Lunglei and I am sure you know trotrally all troo well what has been said about those coming from those parts. That they are small-minded, they get married too young (!) and they are wannabe Aizawlians. 


Then one's a hybrid. They're supposed to be two-faced, small-minded and disloyal.


Then there's the "nuthlawi". Supposed to be a cougar that breaks in boys and then breaks their heart and homes.


And there's the UPC. Small-minded (too!), rigid, with looooong unstyled hair.


My best friends are those that society has casted into one stereotype or the other. Nopes, its not a conscious choice :D  Ive often heard what people say about my friends and find them ridiculous. However it does make me think, if birds of a feather flock together, what about me? Am I the odd bird out? Or do I fit a stereotype too and people are talking about me and Im blissfully unaware as usual and my friends are protecting me again? 


Lunglei-wallah makes fun of the way she is stereotyped. Small-minded? No, just principled. Marriage centric? I wish! Its past time for her to get married. Wannabe- Aizawlian?- If there's one thing I know about her, she isnt a wannabe anything. She IS herself.


Then Vainu :D Small-minded? Hah! She's a little bit too tolerant. Two-faced? If she is, then I want her faces. Disloyal? Far far too trusting for her own good. 


Nuthlawi. The 'cougar' on the prowl. Sometimes I want to give her a big hug because I know so well that she so is not. It doesn't matter that she has had just that one boyfriend, the one who made her a nuthlawi. That nuthlawi status will forever label her as a fallen woman.


UPC. Long haired- yes, but very well-styled. Rigid and small minded?- Probably has the kindest heart of anyone I know. Had a steady boyfriend whose friends rag him mercilessly for having a looong-haired UPC girlfriend. They've broken up since, though they still burn for each other.  


My misfits make it easy to forget how hurtful it could be for them sometimes. They make politically incorrect jokes about themselves- their way of thumbing their noses at those who stereotype them without knowing who they really are. Lunglei-wallah has us in splits about trotrally Lunglei jokes. Vainu will say, "Vai velh tur, ka pa hi lo beng r'u". And nuthlawi will say things like, "Ka lo ti ang. Nuthlawi alawm ka nih, ka zahtheihloh kha". And UPC smiles beningly whenever religious discussions come up and someone will always, ALWAYS say something bad about UPCs. 
And despite their problems, whenever I wail, "Im loonely", they call, suggest we meet up, and proceed to make me laugh my blues away. 


So this is a tribute to my four social misfits. I don't need no Friendship Day to tell you I love you all and that Im proud of you for not letting the narrow-minded bigots get  you down
But Lunglei wallah told me to write a friendship day post and Im a good friend too. So here it is, luv. Hope it makes you smile and get you all puffed up. 

25 comments:

jay-me said...

Lunglei wallah is wishing you happy friendship day! Thrang Khiuh for traking the trime tro write about me, and now, everyone is going tro thrink i am straying in lunglei hehe so they are going tro say "how can the trwo vijit each other all the trime?" lolzz

nunpuii chopra said...

Happy Ipherenship day yaaar!! eeyy doosti hum nahi torenge...hahah...humko tumse pyaaar hain!! dhanyabad...jeeete raho!! ^^^^ka van thyam!!
^^^n zus like jay-me people vill think im ishtayin somevere outside mijoram...n dey must be vondering if i hav an ILP...hahahahah

ku2 said...

@Jay: Naww, you are straying in Aizawl, you wannabe :D
Perhaps you and I will go tru universitry and you will wear your palang while eating kawi-am troo.

@Npi: Oy! Ka pi, khonge ILP? Pe vat rawh!
Ishq hua, kaisa hua? Khoon Bhari Mang! Khrrrrrrrrr!!! Ka thiamve thauu

Lucy In The Sky said...

Happy Friendship day!

ku2 said...

hAPPY fRIENDSHIP DAYY Lucyyyy :))

jay-me said...

"wear your palang"?? palang chu mom botrol a nia a hak theih laaauuuh saidawium in tih ang hi lawm, trawp atrangin tui ka thal anga, palangah ka dah anga, maihunah ka thruahfai anga, kawiam tui ka thun anga chuan laui leh nuhnun ei pahin trangtrial man film ka en anga mahse chawk-e lo hram lauh2 chuan ka thiannu ku2i univah phurh thlak a ngai leh tawh anih chu tih min hrilh anga ka saidawium,barrel, chawhtawlh, kawlthei, lamkhuang, thingfanghma, spiderman film leh awk-e zawng2te tlansanin ka rawn serve leh ang che.

nunpuii chopra said...

jay-me chu ril tlats. voi thum ka chhiarnaah ka chhiar fuh chiah. Haha.
Laaaalkuuukui hi min rel hrep dawn emaw ka tia min chhuah tha phian zel a...i likeee!! Muah2 :) Chuan voinah zamey nen kan rel hrep che..omlo rel hun kan tia...hahah...

Mizohican said...

A fine gang of friend you have there. Lucky for you to be in such a diverse group of friends, after all, diversity is the most fun :)

So, what about you? What is your stereotype mould? :)

blackestred said...

Nice Friendship Day post.
Here's a thought:
I believe that you don't pick your friends, they do. But then again, if they are able to pick their friends, why not you? Hehe..

ku2 said...

@Jay-me: oii, oii, the linguistic barrier! And yet, we speak the same language of the heart, eh eh eh, cheeessyyy :D Er...very informative :P

@Npi:Min rel dan pawh indulgent deuhin a ni tho ang, min duat hlawm eeeem mai a :D

ku2 said...

@ Illuz: I think Im there for comic relief. You know that stereotypical bhola person in a group of friends who's always picked on to do the dirty jobs? That's me :(

@Black: Thanks. I gave them no choice in the matter, actually. I barged into their lives, park myself at their respective homes, call them up incessantly, the works :D

jay-me said...

i tidik thlaps regarding the "rel"ling , voinah npte dorah ka peng a kan rel nasa lutuk che, nuam rapthlak, u gave us a truckload of backbitey stuff to talk about, we felt good after all the bitching behind your back, aaahhh!

jay-me said...

Something funny...voin ka class la thar ve chu "any questions? ka tia pakhat hian, "How is Lenny with his marriage life? rawn tia, lolz..."He's fine, do u want tro know about(sakethreh) my love life as well? kan th kha hehe tak2ah he's my sister's friend and we are vaguely acquaintred so cant(skethreh) really blame him...i mean, in lak nelom ka lo chak ve a ka khi seng reng a plus i dont(skethreh) really have a dictratror look and qualitry...i probably looked angelic and dove-like with my visible halo and trwittrery voice, right(sktrh)??? ui ha "he knows how tro love throo well but(skethreh)not throo wisely" nih mai chu ah!

ku2 said...

Hehe, matee, dont tell me-insomnia? boredom? :D
Dont complain, You're gonna be someone and I'll watch enviously as you swan off in the latest cars while I sit on the sidewalks with my begging bowl, sob :(
Min rel dan tur chu ka hre mai, ka hmaichhana i sawi ang tho, so im not apprehensive, aleh!

Jerusha said...

friendship day te kha ka hre lo re re, ka thiante lahin an hre hek lo :D Now I don't want to sound totally friendless, I do have great friends :D I just wish I had taken some time to write something like this.

And Ku, tell Lucy to pleasee post wedding pictures!

OpaHmar said...

funny, insightful, enjoyable, thought-proving.. Waitaminit! this could have been me!! I always seem to go out with the "misfits"

ku2 said...

@Jeru: Ive told her. She's too engrossed with hubby dearest to even think about sharing him, even in small ways like posting pics :(
Nah, you dont sound friendless, just too busy enjoying yourself with them to remember that theres supposed to be a day assigned to celebrate them :)

@OPA: Come to think of it, everyone's a misfit these days. Or at least, we all kinda like to think we are all misunderstood artists :)

gr135l said...

Ku2..really lurveee this post..i was tellin Annie how u got me hooked to sayin Threng u (for thank you) and ur stupid dance moves u used to practise every lunch break @pinedale...i wish you would write a book on ur life's journeys..i'll be the 1st in line to get it signed!!! keep on writing gal!!

benjamin rualthanzauva said...

UPC

ku2 said...

@gr135l: Hets! Which one of my juniors are you? I know its nit Lil Miss G, cos she'd choke on words of praise for meh :D
My memoirs- nothing outstanding to report :(

@Benjamin: Er... Okay

___ K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
___ K said...

like they say... birds of a feather flock together

Rodi said...

matree...va thiam thei ve a. Hei hun ol neih thrat laiin k tia k lo chhiar ve char2 a...inspiring khop mai.(but don't take it too seriously lol) Ziak zel roh...huhu

Rodi said...

btw, i guess der's one comment here dat u don't want others to see. Probably me? heheh. Thank you...is dat appropriate? dunno...neways muuuaahh hehehehehe

ku2 said...

Mateeee, ka lo hmuve chiahaa. Dont know aboot the deleted comment. wasnt me :)
Appropriate i tih tawh phot chu appropriate ah ka pawmsak thlap che. Lo haw rawh.