Sunday, July 18, 2010

Goodbyes

While rummaging through my old boxes of letters and mementos I came across my "Memory Book". Not content with mere autograph books, in our hostel, the outgoing students have this habit of circulating a thick notebook among the girls. There we'd write whatever springs to mind, and like all goodbye notes, the notebooks were usually filled with memories of good times, promises to keep in touch, addresses, funny photos, pressed flowers, ticket stubs and pages ripped out from comic books.


I re-read the pages written by my old hostel mates. Sometimes life plays its cruel little tricks on you and present you with extraordinary people with whom you inevitably have to say goodbye to. Because we had practical exams, we were one of the last to leave and I had the unenviable task of seeing off my friends as they left one by one. I remember standing on the platform as they peeped out their bus windows and we extracted last minute promises to keep in touch. And as their buses pulled away, I'd half-run after them and we'd shout, "Take care!!! Call me! I miss you already!!"


I think it's always hardest for the ones left behind. I also came across a short letter written by Ben, an old school mate who died a few years back. He wrote that at 21, it was nearly time for him to find a bride. Last month was the anniversary of the death of my guy's dad. One of his friends wrote a short dedication to him in his magazine which went something like : "I thought you and I would take the night bus home together. But you went ahead and took the morning ride without me, and you left me here".


Goodbyes are such a huge part of life and no matter how many times one faces them, it never really becomes easy. Death is probably the biggest farewell of all. We think we and our loved ones would depart together on that night bus as the sun sets on the evening of our lives. But so many of us have to depart so suddenly and those left behind can only watch them leave and miss them already.


In our Mizo mythology, dead souls drink "Lungloh tui" (waters of unloneliness?) and inhale the scent of the "Hawilopar" (The no-turning-back flower :D ). My translation sucks. There is one more stage they have to pass through but I've forgotten what it is. But basically, dead souls can't enter Pialral (Mizo Valhalla, Paradise, what have you) until they have forgotten those they have left behind. I suppose it would make life a lot easier if we could forget all those that we have had to say goodbye to. Still, I'd rather have the memories with the pain, than to forget what it was like with them, even to forgo the pain of loss.


And it hurts more when the one you lost is someone whom you want to have in your life forever. The first person who wrote in my "Memory Book" was a Naga girl called Naro whom I used to call my "soul sister". She wrote that she would forever picture me as "Cheery-faced Kuku with optimism in her skin, search in her eyes and words in her head". I dont know how much of the girl she once knew still remains in me, but I too forever will remember her as "the girl lying amongst crushed daisies in her Green, crying her mascara tears". Yeah. Memories. We leave behind a part of us forever.


Still, life does offer us its compensations. I remember feeling sulky and weepy on the bus home because Naro had an exam and couldn't drop me off. And on that same bus too was a girl whom I vaguely knew and she too was surreptitiously wiping her goodbye tears. That girl eventually turned out to become another soul sister, my BFF. So yeah, life does go on, people come and go, leaving their indelible yet permanent mark on us. And one day I'll point to my laugh lines and tell my grandkids, "so and so put these lines here on my face". Yep, my face will become a map of those that I've loved and laughed with and said goodbye to.
And life remains one big circle of hellos and goodbyes. And so it goes...

12 comments:

Mizohican said...

Back during "my days" I think we used to call those memory books you're talking about as "Slam Books" :) Truly goodbye is the sweetest sorrow. Have lost a couple of classmates along the way, and they will forever be remembered. Such memories are hard to forget.

Jerusha said...

I (pardon my French) fucking hate goodbyes! Never been good with them, never will be. I hate traveling alone for this reason, sitting next to a stranger on a plane while sniffling and wiping surreptitious tears is the most uncomfortable thing, for you and for the poor stranger next to you.

'No turning back flower' hahah That's so precious. Your translation is great, telling it exactly the way it is minus any flowery trimmy shrimmy work :)

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

I hate big goodbye scenes. I think what's more important is how we remember the person we left behind, or the one who left us, rather than the parting moment.

ku2 said...

@Illue: Slam books! I remember seeing them in museum archives! Hah.
We were a wordy lot, and we considered slam books with their set questions limiting. Hence the thick notebooks :) I dont know whats sweet about sorrow :(

@Jerusha: French pardonnezed! Ha, I once sat next to a crying woman on a Kol-Aizawl flight. Was that you?
I hate goodbyes, but what I hate more is lack of closure. At least a proper goodbye provides that.

@Aduhi: True that. Focusing on the pain of the goodbye scene is easy but time does take off that edge and memory does the rest. Wait, is that contradictory?

Lucy In The Sky said...

Ah, memory book! I remember, although we didn't exactly call them memory books. But yeah, memories...memories. I miss my naga and manipuri friends with their ngari!! Hmanlai an chang zo ta..te lo ti hlaui ila :) Tunlai chu ka lung a leng ngawih ngawih.

Hawilopar kha an samah an tar/thiat thrin lo maw? I thil post hian min ti lungleng. Hmanah kan thrianu, vai, hi ka u in Burma ram atrang a mizo thlangtlak lai a Bung kung and phun leh "A zar-in lei a deh hunah kan lo kir leh ang" an tih vel kha a hrilh a,
a hneh deuh aniang, a mittui a tling kuau mai :)

Mos-a said...

Beatles hla Hello/Goodbye kha rilru ah rawn lang ta tlat mai :D

A hla thu phei chu a ho angreng phian mai a -


You say yes, I say no
You say stop and I say go, go, go
Oh, no
You say goodbye and I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why you say goodbye
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why you say goodbye
I say hello

I say high, you say low
You say why, and I say I don't know
Oh, no
You say goodbye and I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why you say goodbye
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why you say goodbye
I say hello


Tichuan... bai baih!

ku2 said...

@Lucy: E ni dawn tak, ui, inchhiar that a ngai dawn, kan Mizo thil ka va hrechianglo vee..Bung zarin lei a sik hma tihte chu ka hre thawi vei2 chauh :( Mahse lung a ti leng thau2

@Mosa: Hah, hla lungkuai deuh lyrics rawn dah dawn maw tia,hihih. Beatles hla thu thenkhat hi a ho teh tuh thei reuh ngot mai. "Scrambled eggs, oh baby how i love your legs" :D
ba-baih le

Calliopia said...

Here's a beautiful quote I came across just this morning on the ultimate goodbye (or so we think)
I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared it with them. Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

ku2 said...

Beautiful indeed :(
"Love leaves a memory no one can steal"

Alejendro said...

I'm not the greatest fan of 'Goodbye' but sometimes I just need to wave off and moved on. I do say 'Au Revoir' but my heart won't accept it, I won't let others see what's inside. And I love the 'No turning back flower' LOL :-P

Sentinaro Alley said...

I finnaly log in to see this! my heart contracted reading it....

i hate goodbyes..heck i even hate goodnites! yet someone very wise told me goodbyes are essential so we meet again renewed.

Whats important is, i belive,is the relationship strong enough to stand the test of seperation and silence? if it is..then well, then ppl will know kuks and i have!

ku2 said...

As it should, Naro! I miss you gurl :(
Looking back am glad u werent there that day. Would have had a good bawl on the bus station and that wouldnt have done my image any good :D