Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crazy dances

I love, love, love this "History of Celebration" ad by Coca-Cola- the brand that Ive been drinking for almost every night now (Coca Cola should pay me for this). It so represents the euphoria that accompanies the World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3Q54rPjQw


The players cupping their hands on 0.12.
The yellow swaying men on 0.16.
The guy grabbing that flag and performing an impromptu concert for the photographers (My fave) in 0.20.
The blue rowboat in 0.28.
The posers in 0.31.
The birds in 0.39 and 0.41.
Oh hell, the whole damn ad!


Roger Milla's little dance escalated into this frenzy of goal celebration where grown men act like crazy little boys and the world just loves them all the more for it. "(They) show the whole world not just how to celebrate but how to live".


Would-be octopus murderers aside, the WC does generate a certain kind of jubilant unity in us, no matter what team we support. When a team scores, this sleepy little town is filled with the sounds of cheers, people banging on steel utensils (that was my mom, sorry neighbours), loud honking on truck horns and the occasional bursting of crackers in this cracker-less town. Good natured ribbing ensues when a friend's team loses, phone messages and calls escalate and football haters go into grumpy hibernation.


There's something about unselfconscious joy that is so very contagious. Whether its football players acting crazy when they score a goal, or a baby screaming in sheer delight or pretty young things laughing on the street, that kind of unfettered happiness always draws people in.


In The Catcher in the Rye, umm, whatsisname, yeah, Holden, the protagonist compares childhood to a field of rye where kids play freely. With adulthood they leave that field and enter into a world of phoniness where displays of real emotions are seen as signs of weakness. Too often we are told to keep our emotions in check. While this might be a good thing when it comes to negative emotions, I don't know why we don't cut loose more often when we're happy. Maybe with adulthood we learn that happiness is sometimes fleeting, that openly expressing joy often makes us vulnerable- I don't know- but we tend to laugh a little less and be more guarded.


What I do know is that nothing gets me out of a bad mood faster than to see my little nephew smiling his open, toothless smile, or my youngest sister suddenly performing her mad little dance, or my boyfriend jumping and clicking his heels in the air :D That never fails to get me. 


As I watched Germany beat the hell out of England and Argentina, I literally LOL'd to myself. It has been quite a while since I allowed myself to laugh that gleefully and loudly. Its also been a while since I woke up singing, or performed an imaginary rock concert while getting dressed. And it has also been ages since I walked in the rain or climbed a tree, dignity be damned.


The world needs more laughs, more silly moments, more crazy dances. Or wait, is it just me?


P.s: Haha, Eve, I forgot everything you taught me about resizing videos to fit!! Ah well, leave it. Just another silly moment for me :D

10 comments:

OpaHmar said...

I love the way this guy just jumps over the fence....i wonder how his landing was (ouch) hehe
I witnessed the first time Roger Milla swayed his hips, it was the firsy time African flava was brought into football
However this is my fav goal celebration routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0wXNq7B1X8

OpaHmar said...

and yes (addendum again) Danny Wellbeck doing an Usain Bolt
http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group1/subgrp251/carlingcup200910manc_305771.jpg

Mizohican said...

haha! The video size!!!! :D

Just change the width and height in your youtube source code to 480 and 385 respectively. There will be two such places to do that. After that the youtube vid will fit perfectly.

ku2 said...

@OPA: Thank you for the links. I LOL'd :D. I bet after a celebration, football players get a lot of scrapes and tiny cuts what with all the sliding they do.

@Illue: Heh thanks. Maybe Ill get down to it later. Right now I like being a little shocked by the size of the video :D

Lucy In The Sky said...

Lolzz...Kuku, ve zaih zaih che chuan, A width leh height change dan i thiam lo a ni reng sia :P I bei bawn thei riau alawm.

Hand swaying kha hmanah, engkum nge ka hre tawh lo, Bebeto khan a tih ngei kha. Kan sitar thei uluk tawp.

Alejendro said...

Khawchhak pa khi ka duh tops... LOL

Eveline said...

Every b'day I tell myself, 'When I grow up I wanna be like me'.
For me, it's always been a bit of a reminder that it's okay to be silly and childish and fun. I really hope I never grow out of that.

And like Kima said. Just adjust the height and width of that video. It does look humongous! :D

ku2 said...

@Lucy: Shual shuh!! Khi ka siamve khi :p Ka inhmeh ka lo tia, lianpuia dah kha :D
Bebeto, hihih. Hmanlai trek2.

@Alej: A lawmpuiawm tawp alom tiro.

@Eve: Resized!! :D
And I want to be a kid again :(

Jerusha said...

I'm with you right there. This is what I've been trying to tell my mom all my life (unsuccessfully) - we don't need more education, or money, we all just need to stop taking ourselves so darned seriously and just be silly now and then.. :)

keimah said...

Ha ha ha!!