Monday, May 2, 2011

Bridal stuff

A friend recently said "The Royal Wedding is every girl's ideal fairy-tale wedding". I guess I'm not girl enough because it's not my ideal. I watched the wedding spuriously, not being that interested in it anyway. I noticed the funny hats, the guys in the Union Jack underpants, the bride and groom, the Beckhams and the absolutely cooooool car that someone rode in- black, sleek, streamlined, shiny..where was I?

Oh yeah. Weddings. I suppose the royal wedding was romantic - if your'e into that sort of thing. Little girls imagine what their wedding day would be like, but I spent my little girlhood being wrestled, tied up and left for dead by my cousins. Ok, not dead, just till I started crying, which was seldom because they told me only sissy girls cried and I didn't want to be a sissy girl. Maybe that was it, but I've been notoriously commitment-phobic ever since. Well, till I met this guy. And I started weaving wedding day dreams, and I'm not so little, nor so young, but I dream dreams just the same. Or maybe not the same.

 You see, I want a monsoon wedding. I don't want a decorous wedding where everything is perfect. I want to get my dress muddied and my mascara streaked and my husband's shoes all squelchy. I want my guests to run helter-skelter while I laugh out loud at the sight of matronly women clutching their puans and the men rushing off to do whatver men do when it rains at weddings.

Oh, and I'm renting a dress. I'm not the kind of girl who feels romantic when she looks at a dress. I'd actually like to wear our traditional Puanchei but a lot of the women will wear it too, and I'm vain enough that I want to be very visible on my day. Contrary to what people say, that weddings are really a show put on for the assorted guests, its going to be my day. I'm going to make sure of it. I'd rather save the money for the dress and use it to go off on a trip. That's more romantic and memorable than a dress. 


And I've always wanted it to be in the month of October. Maybe because its  the month where the moon is at its brightest, the weather is at its pleasantest or maybe because its our traditional Khuangchawi Thla, I don't know, but October just always sounded right.

But then again, I don't really care when, where and how I'm married. What matters is the marriage and the wedding's just a small part of it. So long as I'm with the man I love, I don't care if its freezing, or raining or sweltering.

I'm not cut out to be a Princess Bride. All I'm good for, I think, is being the occasional nag, the loud champion, the overprotective mom, the occasional bitch and the girl he grows old with. 

9 comments:

fierce flame said...

first off, are you crazy?!! a monsoon wedding?!!haha.does that mean we gonna have to come to your 'big day' with back-up rain gear?!;P
and i agree about the "royal wedding" it was amusing is what it was...and i couldnt believe some of my friends facebook statuses had'i want someone like Prince William'.i mean c-riously! he's a mediocre looking balding 28(?) year old white man with rabbit front teeth(although that part is mildly cute hehe)
thing last) i love how it ends.and youre not alone.i dont think anyone really BECOMES/IS a princess bride.its a to quote our lit. bg, 'construct' :))) the reality is much more real and funny

Jerusha said...

Agree on all points. Except the dress renting. Ugly dress, plain one, whatecer - I want it to be my own.

ku2 said...

@Fierce: No, no rain gear, thats part of the fun, being soaked in all your finery! Kate did look very dignified, very princess bride-y, but instead of all the pomp, splendor and the dignity, I liked that moment where William pushes the ring onto her finger and it looked as if it won't fit. They seemed human then :)

@Jeru: On second thought, getting mud stains all over a rented dress doesn't quite seem the right thing to do. Monsoon wedding or a muddifiable dress- that is the question :(

H.Vangchhia said...

I'm not into Brits thing anyway, so i'm with you hairehai

Alejendro said...

Pasal i nei dawn emawni ka lo ti hman a lawm. Keipawh inneih hi chu Biakin a tih kher ka lo rilruk teh chiamlo... pastor in khawi hmunah emaw min han kutsuih tir ve mai mai se.. with a small group of relatives & friends to witness..

Calliopia said...

I once attended this friend's wedding who it turned out had picked up a heavy case of conjunctivitis so there she was in all her gorgeous bridal finery..... and dark glasses. That was really, really funny :D

jay-me said...

Kan thiannu thin hi chu ooo, love the fact that you can paint beautiful pictures of absolutely everything.When we talked about weddings, I never thought you'd be able to romanticize the whole idea of being married or of wedding days. Btw, monsoon wedding? have you been watching too many hindi movies lately??hehe kidding, whatever appeals to you is my appeal!!!Admit it a b-double "f" is better b-"lone" "f"

jay-me said...

"better than" o heh

ku2 said...

@H.Vangchhia: Hairehai hai!

@Alej: Nei maithei, maithei lo maithei... :D

@Caliopia: Haha, poor thing. Would look rather gothic-y in a farcical kind of way :D

@James: We doin' it together, then? Nto Bollywood inspired exactly, I like the idea of you all having to run around, scared to get your clothes wet. Ruahsur hnuaiah kher "ka thiante thla ka lakpui duuuuh" te ka'n ti vel anga... :p