Wednesday, October 13, 2010

flutterbug

A couple weeks back I sat on my phone and busted its LCD or something and its display was totally shot. Saw a few pretty sights and though I could not see what my 2MP phone cam was capturing, I aimed and shot anyway. Here are some of those blind shots. A picture, some say, is supposed to say a thousand words. For those of us who don't know an SLR from a "Deegeetal cam'ra, cheeep cheeep" hawked on a train, and who completely lack artistic vision, our pictures need the shooter to speak for them. So here goes-


After a night of hurling itself against a tubelight, this moth landed on my sister's wall and refused to move. And she decided to jazz it up by painting nail polish streaks of 'passion pink' and 'silver nights' and glittery 'deep purple' on its wings. They became so heavy the moth could no longer fly, so it fluttered thickly and died. Its corpse was soon surrounded by an army of scavenger ants busily wondering how best to divvy up the shares and transfer this prime booty. The decision was left out of their hands as my sister swept them all up, moth corpse and hungry ants all.







This one was taken after a day of relentless drizzling. In the evening, a watery sun emerged and was soon engulfed by fat lazy clouds. They battled it out and the sun stubbornly sent out its rays through gaps in the clouds. I wish I could have done justice to what emerged- rays of sunlight majestically beamed through cloud covers, as Reiek Tlang in the background stood a silent spectator to this battle of elemental wills. 







And finally, this-
I dont care that the picture's of really poor quality. This one is my fave. For years I've wished on that star (or planet, whatever), silently chanting "Star light, star bright etc". And though wishes don't always come true, I still love that single star in the sky. Especially this- captured on the same evening as the pic above. The heavens braced itself for one more night of deluge and this star chose that moment of calm and storm to shine. That night it disappeared along with all the other celestial objects but boy- did it seize its opportunity. That night it stormed- a lot.




And I, a mere speck in infinity, could only gawk as nature unleashed a tiny part of its fury. "How great thou art".

22 comments:

baruk said...

love the last picture.

[rant] @"picture's of really poor quality": i'm a huge believer in the idea that there are no 'poor quality' pictures, at least from a camera perspective. even a 2mpx camera phone is much, much more advanced than then a lot of 'classic' photography! i think the point is to take a good looking picture (however that good looking is defined) and not so much to take a 'plenty of camera features' picture. and on that count, the last picture (at least) is a winner for me. [/rant]

Anonymous said...

the last picture's lovely. the wishing star reminded me of 'airplanes' ....can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? i could really use a wish right now....

Mos-a said...

Kum tam tak chhung kha chu zing ka thawh veleh a tukverh atanga tlang ka hmuh hmasak ber chu Reiek Tlang hi a ni thin a. Lung te pawh a ti leng reuh khawp mai i thlalak rawn post hian.

...Chuan pic tawp bera arsi i tih hi arsi nilovin Planet Venus zawk a nia.

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

lol i va thut nasa awm em em i phone chu..

Nice pics, esp the second one. Clouds are beautiful, always. Clear blue skies and white clouds, a deadly combination.

Eveline said...

Have to say, the moth looked much better after your sister doctored it.
I like the second picture. I'm a sucker for a picture of a gorgeous sunset.

Mizohican said...

Beautiful pics.

Chuan you and Mossy are both wrong. It is neither a star nor Venus. Wipe your phone camera lens and take the same pic again, you will see that the "star" has magically disappeared. Magic. :D

ku2 said...

Its official :D
The men prefer the star, the ladies like the sun. But wait, I like the star too, so..

@Baruk: Well ranted. Ive seen others post really2 good pics, though, and its easy to feel like ure lil ole pics are very mediocre compared to those. Glad u liked the pic though.

@Ruolngulworld: Thanks :) I've never seen a shooting star, Ive been too fixated on the fixed ones, I think.

Mos-a: No wonder my wishes dont come true. Planet na na na 'star light' lo tih chu a duh biklo aniang. Reiek tlang hi chuan ka lung a len em em lo, a hmun an modernised toh ltk aaaa

ku2 said...

@Aduhi: Vawi 1 ka thuta, ka thut nawn leh, chhelo chi anilo. I love clouds too, fat ones, stormy ones, cloudless skies too :)

@Eve: a classic example of gilding the lily a lil bit too much :D
I sometimes wait out and watch for the exact moment that the sun sets. I get really bleary-eyed then :D

@Illu: Nawwwwwwww. Really? Im crushed :(

jay-me said...

you always manage to turn a crisis into fun heheh...beautiful pictures, me dear, and as for the poor, tortured moth whose death had been preponed by your sis, Im gonna file a report to ASEP :))) lol a hlau lo leh ang chu :D

ku2 said...

A hlaulo raapthlak! Keipon ka hlaulo :D

apatea said...

Secondth one's awesome. Even with the lack of preview on your camera. I would say that u have a talent on camera... try your hand on the SLR

Jerusha said...

Shocked shocked that your sister did that to that moth! Well I have to admit it';s sort of pretty but I can never look at a moth and not think 'Pangrem' haha

avena said...

Kei ai chuan thlalak ah idea i nei e..ka hmet ve sek a,mahse ka duh dan leh photographer ho duh dan a in ang lo ani teh chek ang chu :)

Maisek said...

Nice pictures!

blackestred said...

Nice pics for a 2MP kamera. And the star in last pic is the....
Evening Star
Shine a little Heaven on a stranger with no dream
Where you are
You can see the loneliness i mean
And if i gotta fight,i can never play
Somebody else's game
I can follow the evening star..
:P

ku2 said...

@Apatea: I think its actually the lack of preview on my cam that made the pics come out quite well :D

@Jeru: You back with a bang, girl! When I see moths I think "phurthak" :D

@Avena: Idea ka neilo, ka tinve tawp, la ve tawp animai. :)

@Maisek: Thanks for appreciating

@Black: That your own? Nah, I dont think so, is not emo enough :D

blackestred said...

@Kui: That's Kenny Rogers hit song back when I was a kid, and you were a baby. :P Look it up, you might even like it. And trust me, I'm too old to be Emo.

Vered said...

Nice pics
p.s tunlai hi iva reh ve :)

Sentinaro Alley said...

ahh my love Kuks..i love the painted moth and i agree with some one up there who said there nothing like poor photography and(i add)also bad poems, paintings..any expression coz they are brave steps to show the big bad world who you truly are!!

keep writing sweets.

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Nice pics. But what a cruel sister you have!

ku2 said...

@Vered: Am trying to shroud myself in mystery heh
@Naro: Thank you babes. Ah, if veeryone thought the way you do... :D

@Mesjay: Haha, she thought she was doing it a favour, prettifying it hehe

DayDreamBeliever said...

I wish there was a "like" button as there is on facebook :) Would have definitely "liked" this post, not just the pics but the prose... you do get better with every post.