Friday, August 26, 2011

Depp and stuff

Back in hostel, we devoured romance novels and I discovered a wildly impractical romantic side of myself. My favourite fantasy then was to be forced into marriage to some nasty old reprobate and, on the wedding day, the man I'm secretly in love with would come riding up on an old scooter and abduct me from the altar (I had also recently watched "The Graduate" around this time). Then we would pretend to be Chinese immigrants and move to Ireland..no wait, I was in love with New Orleans then, so yeah, we would move to New Orleans and open a Dim-Sum Restaurant, okay, okay, I admit I never really thought about what comes after the abduction.

Anyway, my roommate, who had always been disgustingly unromantic, tried to dissuade me from ever fulfilling this fantasy. "Think of the shame that your parents would feel". "Serves them right for forcing me to marry some disgusting man that I don't love". "Your'e not even allowed to have boyfriends yet, so why would they force you to marry anyone anyway?" "This will be after I'm all grown up". "Why did the man you love wait until the last minute to abduct you? If he truly loves you too, he would have abducted you long before". "Maybe he didn't know that I love him". "And why didn't you just say 'no' to your parents? Why would you meekly let yourself be forced into marrying someone you don't love?" "Shut up".

Fast forward ten years and ironically, my unromantic ex-roomie is the one finding herself caught between two men, and I'm the one trying to be all practical. She says she loves the man she's with, but she' also thinks she's in love with another man she met recently. 
"Johnny Depp says, 'If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one because, if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second'".
"He's a friggin Hollywood actor, what does he know?"
"But what if its true?"
"Do you really love this second guy? Maybe you just like the thrill of possibly being with someone new. Would you miss your boyfriend if you broke up?"
"I would dieee"
"Then just let the other guy go"
"But I would also dieee". 

So, faced with the knowledge that my old practical friend has been possessed by a drama queenish, romantic demon and that she's also going to die, I decided to change the subject and we ended up chatting about Johnny Depp. 

'Course I ended up thinking about this "being in love with two people at the same time" thing, and where I had once thought that it's impossible, now that so many people are claiming to do the very impossible, I ruled that perhaps, it wasn't quite as impossible as I had thought.

We are all complex beings and I guess its possible to be simultaneously in love with two people who appeal to different facets of yourself. But what happens when you have to choose between the two, as you inevitably will have to do? 

I don't know the answer to this so I'll fall back on Johnny Depp again. And this awesome music video where I first fell in love with him. 


Lawdy, aint he the cutest thing?

3 comments:

jay-me said...

My romantic friend awwwwww!k buai comment tam hman lau :)

ku2 said...

31st ah hman ang che, kan rawn run dawn che ania

Senmami said...

The realist rediscovers her romantic side! OINK...

I would say, I'm the romantic battling to find my realist!

Nice read! :)