Sunday, March 27, 2011

Re-falling in love with an old song

Watched "Raising Hope" this evening, where a woman was singing a baby to sleep and her husband was strumming the guitar. The song they sang was "Danny's song" and it brought back such a flood of memories.


My beautiful mom with her then long hair waving as she bobbed her head, accompanying Anne Murray with a guitar as me and my sisters tried to lisp along. My beautiful big sister pretending she was Anne Murray, holding a hairbrush and mouthing the words as Anne crooned on our old tape recorder. Me pretending I was big sister and mimicking her moves in front of the mirror, and then quickly pretending I was brushing my hair all along when somebody entered the room... 


Big sister seemed to us like a vision of loveliness with her long tresses. Mom had cut our hair short, and big sis' hair epitomised glamour and adulthood, and we'd watch as she brushed it every morning before school. It was long, thick and straight, parted in the middle, with a slight wave at the ends. She also had a good singing voice, so sometimes, when she felt like it, she'd honour us with a song- and she wont just sing, she'd grab her brush and dance along, and we wanted to be like her...


When big sis had a son, she would lull him to sleep with the Carpenter's "Close to you" and "Beechwood 4-5789". And of course, Anne's "Danny's song". God, I miss those days/songs.


Now 3 of my sisters have had children, and I have unofficially adopted one of my nephews. He's an energetic fat little baby who thinks he'd be missing something if he falls asleep, so getting him to sleep is a huge problem. 
Singing nursery rhymes to him only makes him more awake as he tries to babble along. Maybe its time to break out Anne Murray and the Carpenters and it will all be like yesterday once more.


And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the morning when I rise,
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes

And tell me everything will be alright....


"Danny's song"- Anne Murray version. Written by Kenny Loggins, who, too broke to buy his brother Danny a gift when Danny had a son, gifted him this song instead. 

2 comments:

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

beautiful song. full of hope and love. good post. isn't it funny how we always copy our elder sisters, sometimes without even knowing?

Calliopia said...

My older sister is older only by a year but she was always such a self-possessed little thing, bossing us younger ones around, it always felt like she was much much older. A mini-Mom almost :D